As known by everyone, SEO has rules which keep evolving like a mutating virus. It won’t be cut by old tactics anymore. As the work on 2018 top rankings start, we would like to present a list of top 9 SEO trends that will surely help you in becoming a popular trending name on the internet.
- Careful Structuring will be needed by Rich Snippet
A very unlikely ranking hack is emerging as SEO best practices evolve through the internet.
Yes, we are talking about Snippets here. And not any normal snippets, some best and rich snippets. But before we start, let’s go through a bit of definitions.
When a query is made by any user on the internet, the results shown by the search engine are Snippets. Here’s an example:
Whereas in the case of Rich Snippets, it allows the user to select a more relevant result for the query by showing a lot more information in the snippet than what a normal snippet shows. Take a look below:
Image, rating, cooking time and number of calories are some forms of examples from where you can notice how this snippet delivers more information.
Rankings are not directly affected by Rich Snippets. But due to the extra information which is provided by them, they tend to increase the click through rate of the search made.Rankings get affected as when click through rate increases, it automatically increases the traffic and hence rankings are affected.
This is the time to employ rich snippets in your SEO strategy, if you have not done any such thing till now. If you structure your snippets carefully, it will lead to the much needed boost in your rankings.
- Page Speed
Page speed is a major ranking factor according to Google. There are various detrimental consequences with ‘Slow Loading Pages’ which take 3 seconds or more in loading:
- Fewer pages are crawled by Search Engine
- Bounce rate increases
- Time on page is lower
If you want to rank well, one of the most critical things to do is to improve your page load time. There are some tweaks which can help you in pacing up your site, let’s have a look at them.
- Website’s code can be optimized.
- Redirects can be reduced.
- Images can be resized before being uploaded to your CMS.
- Cache your website and pages.
- The number of plugins on your site should be limited.
The main task for you in 2018 is to work on the page loading speed.
- Increased Page Relevance
Page Relevance is one of the most important factors in determining the rankings. It will never be out of the race as a ranking factor, when it comes to ranking. Search engines want to give users the best experience possible on the internet which means showing the most relevant results.
“When operating search engines,the word ‘relevance’ explains the extent to which the content of a website reacts to the search term used”. “Search Metrics”
When it comes to query results, Search engines place great value on relevance. As an example, when you search for pie recipes, search results will not include any pizza recipes. It doesn’t matter if the Pizza recipes top in other ranking factors, the result won’t show it because it is not relevant to the search query being made. Hence, pizza recipes will not appear.
You can say that your content decided the relevance of your page. To optimize for relevance:
- Publish more long form of content as opposed to short form.
- Your topic must be covered in detail.
- Use synonyms and related phrases and don’t get stuck to just your keyword.
Your efforts of publishing efforts will be just a waste of time if your page is not relevant to the categories you want to rank for.
- Voice Search Is More Real Than Ever
“Prevalence on mobile devices and focus on local searches are the main reasons behind characterizing Voice search”. “Search Engine Watch”
Voice search is becoming the first preference of people for making any search online, because talking is more natural than typing. You just need to make a simple voice command and the results for your query will be at your fingertips. Considering Optimization for voice search is surely one of the ways to rank better in 2018. How?
- You can integrate the questions in your SEO strategy. Most searches made by voice commands are question based.
- Maximize on local SEO. Generally voice searches are specific to a location.
- Voice is the future of searching. One must take benefit from this excellent advancement of making searches. It is a sure shot way of reaching the top in Google rankings and top listings.
- The Rise of “Linkless” Backlinks
“Linkless” backlink sounds awkward, but yes, there is a thing like this. And as we head into 2018, these are becoming strong ranking factors.
When other web users simply mention your names or your brand, it is being termed as “Linkless” backlink.These are being picked and used as trust signals by the search engines.They are being called as “linkless” backlinks because they work the same way a normal link works.
“Duane Forrester, formerly Sr. Product Manager at Bing, “Unlinked mentions can be just as strong a signal as regular links”, this is pointed out by Duane Forrester, Former Sr. Product Manager at Bing.
All the mentions will not be positive though. You need to invest in “mention marketing” softwares now, like AWARIO, to protect your brands reputation. Reply them after tracking all the mentions about your brand. You can also implement damage control measures quickly, if you notice any negative comments.
- Natural Language Queries
Evolution of search engines is taking place. And as they evolve, they try to make search process as natural as possible.
You need to enter natural language queries.
This type of search takes place in everyday natural language. And it is continuously rising, whether typed or spoken.
It is so because it’s easier than keyword based searches in which you type your query. As in this you may require different combinations of letters to get the precise results. This is why natural language queries are becoming popular.
Nowadays, even longer and complex queries can be processed by Search engines as they have become so advanced. You can take a glance at the examples of natural queries below:
“The only thing important is that your keyword strategy must be more conversational in nature and it should copy the way how real human beings talk and ask questions verbally.”
- Personalization of Search
Nowadays, Search results have become more personalized which means that these search engines are now giving ‘personal’ made results which are especially tailored for the user. Apart from the generic results after search, search engines now alter the results based on the personal information they have about the user, such as:
Personalization has 3 main pillars. They are:
- Location: User’s location helps the search engines to personalize results for the user.
- Browsing history. Browsing history helps the Search engines to learn about your interests and preferences. This helps the search engines in personalizing the results for you.
- Results shown by these Search engine are device specific. Search pages which are shown to usare very different on desktop and mobile devices. The reason behind this is that these pages have rankings based on the device being used to browse. These mobile friendly pages have a higher rank when searched on mobile device, but not on desktop, and vice-versa.
- Link Building Is Still the No.1 SEO Hack
You are wrong if you thought that link building is out of the competition now. After all the news in market about link building being an old way of SEO hack, it still remains as the No.1 SEO hack.
As far as search engines are concerned, Link building is still the best in the business because of the trust factor it carries. And trust is important when it comes to ranking. But one important point to notice is that all links are not good. The thing which really matters is the quality of the links and not the quantity.
Getting back links with good quality is a difficult task, but you can still get them through:
- Publishing excellent content which warrants backlinks.
- Guest posting
- Web directories
- Commenting on other sites
- Building good relationships within your niche
These link building techniques if used properly, will lead you to become #1 on the SERPs.
- Rank on Mobile Before You Rank on Desktop
“Since StatCounter began tracking stats for internet usage, it is the first time that the combined traffic from mobile and tablet devices have been counted at 51.2 percent, vs. 48.7 percent for the desktop access”
Nowadays, users are spending more time on mobile devices than what they do on desktops. So if you have a good rank for mobile, only then you’ll be found on the web, otherwise:
- You will lose your traffic ultimately.
- You won’t be considered relevant by the Search engines.
Factors which help You Rank Better on Mobile:
- One important thing is that your website should load fast.
- Content structure. Content should be well-written and easy to be read on a small screen.
- Should be easy and fluid.
Put these tips on and help your website reach No.1 on the rankings.